BAYLOR at IOWA STATE
Thursday, Oct. 13 at 6 p.m.
Cyclone Sports Complex
Video: Big 12 Now ESPN+
BAYLOR at WEST VIRGINIA
Sunday, Oct. 16 at 2 p.m. CT
Morgantown, W. VA.
Dick Dlesk Soccer Stadium
2022 Record: 3-7-2
Head Coach: Michelle Lenard (North Texas, 2003)
Career Record: 204-84-27 (15th season)
BU Record: 3-7-2 (1st season)
IOWA STATE CYCLONES
2022 Record: 3-7-2
Head Coach: Matt Fannon (Davis & Elkins, 2009)
Career Record: 92-68-25 (10th season)
ISU Record: 11-24-8 (3rd season)
WEST VIRGINIA MOUNTAINEERS
2022 Record: 4-3-6
Head Coach: Nikki Izzo-Brown (Rochester, 1993)
Career Record: 389-135-67 (28th season)
WVU Record: 376-130-67 (27th season)
- Baylor heads on the road this week to take on Iowa State on Thursday and West Virginia Sunday as they continue conference play.
- Sunday’s game will be broadcast on ESPNU, the Bears first game this season nationally televised.
- The Bears are 19-8-2 all-time against the Cyclones, defeating them last season at home, 2-0.
- The Bears are 2-7-2 all-time against the Mountaineers, and were 0-1-1 laast season, recording a 0-0 double overtime draw in regular season, before falling to them, 1-0, in the first round of the Big 12 Championship.
- Iowa State, who is 0-4-1 in conference play, fell last week against Texas Tech and then ranked No.10 TCU, both games on the road.
- In conference play so far this season, West Virginia is 1-0-3 after tying Kansas and No. 10 TCU in back-to-back weeks.
- The Bears are 3-7-2 overall, 1-3-0 in conference play so far this season, coming off of a win against Kansas and a loss to Kansas State.
- Shining in her first career start, Reneta Vargas netted two of the goals in the Bears 3-2 victory over Kansas, including the game winner in the final minute. Ashley Merrill found the back of the net for the Bears second goal against the Jayhawks to tie the game at 2-2 in the 88th minute. This win marked the Bears first conference win of the season and head coach Michelle Lenard‘s first Big 12 win.
- Against Kansas State, the Wildcats went up first, 1-0 in the first half before Vargas netted her third goal in two games to score the equalizer in the second half. KSU won the match after a penalty in the box with 18 seconds set up the Wildcats for a penalty goal.
- Coming back from injury, Reneta Vargas played her first-career minutes against Texas and made her first career starts last week against KU and KSU. She was named the Big 12 Freshman of the Week on Oct. 11 for her three goals in two games. She had four shots last week with three of them on goal. She was the second Bear this season to win the conference’s Freshman of the week award.
- Freshman Morgan Greensage, who was coming back from an injury, played in her first career game against Oklahoma and picked up her first-career start against Texas.
- BU has had 26 different players see playing time this season, with 13 of them being newcomers to the team.
- Ashley Merrill’s three goals tie a team-high and her 24 shots, 13 on goal, leads the Bears.
- Freshman, Hallie Augustyn earned the Bears first Big 12 weekly award, as she was tabbed the conference’s Freshman of the Week for her work against Houston and Iowa on Sept. 6, 2021.
- For Gabby Mueller’s game winning goal against Florida on Aug. 25, she was named Top Drawer Soccer’s National Team of the Week Honorable Mention.
- Kayley Ables was the lone Baylor player named to the Preseason All-Big 12 team. A fifth-year senior for the program, she has been a key component to the Baylor backline, aka the “No-Goal Patrol.”
- Taylor Moon was named a preseason Forward to Watch this season by United Soccer Coaches.
- With coach Lenard’s new playing philosophy, BU defeated both LSU (3-1) and UTSA (2-1) in preseason exhibition matches with five different Baylor players scoring goals.
- The NCAA has done away with overtime during the regular season this year, meaning that every game will end at the end of the 90-minute regulation time.
– BaylorBears.com –