MORGANTOWN, W.V. – The No. 14-ranked University of Memphis rifle team fell in the team’s 2022-23 season opener at No. 6 West Virginia, 4712-4645. The Mountaineers (1-0, 1-0, Great American Rifle Conference) beat the Tigers (0-1, 0-1 GARC) 2337-22291 in smallbore and 2375-2354 in air rifle.
“I’m really proud of how the team managed their matches today and handled the tough parts,” head coach Morgan Phillips said. “This was the first college match for four of our freshmen and they did a great job working through their nerves. We’re excited to apply what we learned today in tomorrow’s match against Navy.”
• Senior Angeline Henry led the Tigers on Saturday, finishing eight overall with an aggregate score of 1172. Henry shot team-best totals of 580 in smallbore and 592 in air rifle.
• Freshman Gabriela Zych was second for Memphis with an aggregate of 1164. Zych was second on the team in both smallbore (575) and air rifle (589).
• Junior Jack Kersey followed with an aggregate score of 1161, including marks of 573 in smallbore and 588 in air rifle.
8. Angeline Henry – 580 smallbore, 592 air rifle, 1172 aggregate
Gabriela Zych – 575, 589, 1164
Jack Kersey – 573, 588, 1161
Kaylene Castillo – 563, 585, 1148
Sam Sparrow – 547, 580, 1127
Sophia Cruz – 534, 579, 1113
Chase Trammell – 556, 552, 1108
• Sophia Cruz, Sam Sparrow, Chase Trammell and Zych all made their Memphis debuts against West Virginia.
• The No. 14 Memphis Tigers will make a quick trip to Annapolis, Md. to compete against No. 15 Navy on Sunday, Oct. 2. The match is scheduled to get started at 8 a.m., with live targets available at GoTigersGo.com.
How to follow the Tigers: For complete information on Memphis Tigers Rifle, visit www.GoTigersGo.com and follow the team’s social media channels on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook.